It’s Friday night, the Wellington wind is howling strong, and I’m tucked up in bed because it’s so very cold. I don’t want to focus on that though, so here is a list of good things that have happened recently:
- The barista at the coffee shop by my work has finally memorised my name and coffee order, which could be seen as a sign I go there too often but I’m choosing to take it as a sign that they like me.
- I now have my own email address at work, which makes me feel much more important than I actually am.
- Lox and I had dinner out at Ombra the other night and the eggplant parmagiana was a revelation.
- I got my roots touched up so I feel like myself again (because for some reason, I only feel like myself when my hair is firetruck red).
- My new jeans make me unreasonably happy.
- The lineup for Laneway 2018 has been announced and I am so very tempted to go.
- I’m taking part in Steptember, which means I’m aiming to do 10,000 steps a day while raising money for services, research, and programmes for cerebral palsy. I’m forcing myself to be much more active and I’m feeling better for it.
- Last week I went for a run for the first time in forever and it turns out I’m not as unfit as I thought I would be.
- While on my run, it was clear that it was worth it because I happened upon this view:
I have a tendency to be an anxious fish. The past few weeks some stressful things happened in life plus I got sick, so I was a little bit of a mess. But I’ve noticed a peacefulness on my head this week which I want to hold onto, so I figured it was a perfect opportunity for another happy things list:
- My new niece was born a couple of days ago and seeing her at the hospital, just hours after she was born, was the most magical experience.
- I have plans to see lots of my friends this weekend.
- Even though I uploaded my cover of “Drive On” a few months ago, I got a nice new comment on it the other day.
- On Saturday, I spent basically the whole day with my beautiful kitty cat.
- A year ago when I got my first desk job, I put my shoulder out of alignment, probably because of my terrible work posture. Since then it’s been pretty uncomfortable, but I’ve finally started seeing a chiropractor and can feel myself healing. Slowly, but still healing.
- The other night I had dinner at an awesome restaurant (Great India, if you’re curious – lots of wicked veggie and vegan options).
- I’ve been with Lox for nearly three years and he still makes me happier than I thought possible.
- Kesha is releasing new music and I am SO here for it – that ridiculous note in “Praying” and the whole sassy vibe of “Woman” – she’s incredible.
- Since moving out of home, my mum often comes into town to have lunch with me, so today I had a lovely lunch with her.
- I just remembered I have half a brownie in my handbag left over from said lunch, so I’m definitely going to eat that now.
I had a couple of very frustrating things happen this week – ultimately unimportant and inconsequential, but frustrating nonetheless – and I don’t want to let that taint my memory of the past 7 days, so here is a list of little things that were actually really great this week:
- Canada’s public holidays are spread out so that there is essentially one every month – I haven’t even been at my job for a full three months, but there have been three public holidays since I started – so on Monday I slept in and had brunch with my housemates.
- I got some really lovely comments about my newest cover.
- On Wednesday Lox and I had dinner at Dark Table, a restaurant that is entirely pitch black; not a glimmer of light anywhere. Eating when you can’t see anything started off being incredibly stressful but I eventually relaxed into it. There was nothing else to focus on but the food, so the tastes felt much more intense (though it was a bit of a surprise when I realised I had finished my meal and was futilely stabbing my fork into empty plate).
- A few days ago I bought a new notebook to inspire me to write more creative pieces, and I’ve actually made a start on coming up with some ideas that I’m really excited about.
- I stumbled upon Wildlife Aid, the most beautiful Youtube channel ever, and spent Friday night happy-crying and in awe of this wonderful human saving the lives of animals:
- Lox often works late, so I’ve been binge-watching Gilmore Girls on nights where I’m alone. Somehow I missed watching this show when it actually aired, so I haven’t seen it before. I get really anxious and involved in stories, so Gilmore Girls has been quite calming to watch as it has such low-levels of drama (probably an odd thing to praise in a show). In weeks like this where I have my own dramas going on, watching this show definitely didn’t add to my stress and made me feel much more relaxed.
- I got to FaceTime with my mum, brother, and cat, and I’m positive they all still love me and miss me.
- The train station by work is a Pokemon hotbed and this week I caught enough Eevee to get my first Vaporeon (called Ariel, because obviously).
- On Saturday I went to Lynn Canyon Park and recreated the Pinterest picture that made me fall in love with Vancouver:
- I could only think of a couple of happy little things when I decided to write this list, so I’m thankful that more moments sprung to mind while writing. My happy lists hold a lot of little memories I probably wouldn’t remember otherwise and I’m going to endeavour to write them more often, so I don’t let my happy fade away.
I’ve always been good at dwelling on the bad – and I feel like there’s so much bad going on in the world right now – but whenever I feel like this, I try to make lists of all the good in my life so that I can remember that everything’s not lost:
- I somehow ended up in a really great workplace so even though I hate waking up at 6.45am, I don’t hate going to work
- My favourite part about commuting is that on the outside I look like a young professional so no one can tell that I’m secretly listening to Cute Is What We Aim For
- I have unreasonably generous co-workers who are constantly bringing treats to the office and giving me food to take home
- My parents are coincidentally in Canada so I’ve been able to see them for the first time in three months
- Dad saved leftovers from our dinner out and gave them to a homeless woman and I’ve never seen someone look so surprised and grateful
- Next week I’m going to Vegas with my parents (!!) and we’ve got tickets to see Britney Spears and I’m probably going to cry (fun fact: Britney’s “Oops!… I Did It Again” album was the first cassette tape I ever bought. Not CD. Cassette tape.)
- I get to wake up next to my favourite person every day
- Lox and I are now living as “casual vegetarians” which means that we’ve mostly cut meat from our diet (but we don’t feel guilty if we don’t stick to it too closely) and we’re eating so well that I don’t feel like I’m missing anything
- We found a brand of fakon that tastes 90% like real bacon and I’m thoroughly impressed with it (Yves Veggie Bacon Strips , if you’re wondering)
- For the first time in my life, I’m completely responsible for myself – my rent, my food, my everything – and I’m loving it
- So far I’ve only forgotten to take a picture for my photo-a-day challenge 3 times, which, over the course of half a year, is pretty impressive
- Somehow this quick picture I took of the cherry blossoms in Vancouver ended up getting over 3000 notes on tumblr:
- I am safe, generally healthy, mostly happy. I can’t ask for much more than that.
… I’m feeling like referencing an already over-referenced Taylor Swift song because it’s undeniably catchy and appropriate because I am now officially feeling 22! I thought it’d be nice to make a list of
22 11 things (22 is a surprisingly big number wow) because I’m a sucker for lists:
NZ Thanksgiving (with all the good intentions of and minus all the negative actual associations of US Thanksgiving)
- I have my birthday off work so I can spend the day indulging in glorious nothing.
- Next week I conclude 4 tortuous & amazing years and officially graduate from university.
- My friend Erin visited me last weekend and, because she’s from the States, we did our own NZ Thanksgiving dinner which was lovely and bizarre (pumpkin in a pie? calling kumara ‘sweet potatoes’ and then putting sugar on them? biscuits that aren’t synonymous with cookies??).
- The other super best friend I made while studying abroad is coming to visit NZ next year and I am so excited for us to all be reunited.
- Another friend of mine (who I went to Laneway 2012 with) bought me The Horrors’ album Skying on vinyl for my birthday.
- I’m still friends with the same group of people I hung out with when I was 14.
- My parents don’t charge me board for living at home (yet).
- My boyfriend sees me cry about ridiculous things at least once a day and still seems to like me (I relate to this post far too well)
- He also got a free Lightbox subscription which means now I can finally watch Buffy.
- We bought our plane tickets to Canada so now I am ready to let myself be excited about my new adventure.
- I’m finally feeling excited and inspired about writing again.
I can be super negative sometimes, so I’m going to make an effort to think about things that make me happy. Right now said happy things include:
- I managed to complete an assignment worth 20% of my grade in three hours.
- In two weeks, all my my classes are over and in just under a month my first year at university will be over, so I’ll have four months of nothing ahead of me.
- Today I had Thai food and watched terrible-yet-awesome TV with my best friend
and I’m not ashamed to say I love One Tree Hill.
- In November, I’m seeing both Mumford & Sons and Coldplay live.
- My cat.
- I accidentally put too much money on my debit card so I was able to spontaneously buy band merch that I don’t need but really want.
- Yesterday someone told me I was “cool” which, considering I’m totally not, was really flattering.
- I’m the only one who knows where the household’s secret stash of chocolate is hidden.
- My friends like the books and music I recommend to them.
- Seriously, look at my cat:
- How could I possibly be unhappy with that in my life?
Inspired by daisylola’s ‘Reasons Life Is Worth It’ and also after reading ’13 Reasons Why’, I figured it’s a good idea to think about stuff that makes me happy.
- I paid my library fines so now I get to read innumerable books for free (assuming I return them on time).
- I’ve read 6 books in the past week.
- My best friend has really good taste in music.
- Avocado on toast.
- My cat.
- I have a really sweet job.
- Another week of nothing until uni starts again.
- I quit Law.
- Revlon Lip Butter.
- I got an awesome 33 song sampler from NoiseTrade (they should seriously sponsor me for all the plugs I give them).
- My new computer has 450GB free space left.
- The Horrors exist.
- The internet.